Monday, April 13, 2009

The Empty Wallet



Isn't it a beautiful thing? My last one lasted right around 20 years. That's almost as long as BS has been alive. I'd say we got our money's worth out of it. Or I should say, my mother's money, since it used to be hers. But she moved from her house to her condo-on-the-bay, and now nary a blade of grass does she have to cut or stick does she have to pick up. She has "people" to do that . . . for the communal grass.

So I inherited the mower when I moved into my house 13 years ago, and it has been well cared for ever since. I kissed it goodnight every day and wrapped its reliable Honda motor with a blankie every night.

I heard you snort. You don't believe me, do you? But it did drink only the finest high-test gasoline and went to the lawn mower clinic for regular checkups, hence its years of loyal service.

But alas, even the most well made machine must eventually roll off into the sunset, either that or cost more to fix than it's worth. That day came this year, so BS gets to keep the old one as a tinker toy and I get a shiny new one (on sale, thank you very much) for a little more than the repairs on the old one would have cost. Such a deal, right?

Oh, and it didn't come from a big box store. The dealer, Land and Coates, is a local dealer with excellent service. They are the ones that tended to Mower Sr. with such tender loving care. Now, they will do the same with Junior. And I expect 20 years out of him as well.

No comments: