Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Crap, I'm really committed now

No one volunteered to slap some sense into me. It's a good thing, really. Now I can't weasel out of this.

One of the things about trying to reinvent yourself is accountability. Keeping all this hidden under a bushel would have been a dangerous thing for me to do, because if I am accountable only to myself, I procrastinate, I put off, I find excuses, I curl up & suck my thumb. If I announce it to the world, which I did when I started this blog, I feel duty bound to follow through. Saving face and all that.

So, I mentioned earlier that I asked my father to help me on this quest. I cringed as I saw him mentally rubbing his hands together in sadistic glee and planning all sorts of scream-worthy activities for me. A hard task-master he is, and he knows how to do it, too. The first thing he did on my behalf was contact the Tidewater Bicycle Association, our local riding group. Look at this picture from that link:



The 2nd & last riders are hauling the kind of stroller I will have. Pop told me that riding 60 miles with the kid's weight behind me would be like riding 100 miles without. To me, that's like asking me to train for a marathon. Crappity crap crap crap.

The TBA is interested in this, so I have asked them for support, advice, anything at all. Standard strollers will not fit the kid.



I need to find one (or have one made) that will accommodate his height, weight & disability. I found a few ideas online, but it's late and I want to go to bed now. I will definitely need help with this, so whatever the TBA can do, I will be grateful for.

If any of my 3 loyal readers have any ideas, please let me know.

2 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Ticky, Can't you somehow incorporate the car seat you have into a stroller?

Kathy said...

That's a good point, and we thought of that, but dismissed it pretty quickly. The car seat is way too heavy, and I don't want to lug around that extra weight, so we are still on the drawing board.