Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A day with my boys


When you work at a place like St. Mary's (Google alert Sonja), you get real attached to those kids, and I am no exception. There are some that I would take home with me in a heartbeat. Well, that is, providing I had nursing care, and household help, and a large handicapped van, and I could retire a wealthy person.

Oh okay then, that isn't going to happen, but I love them to pieces anyway. The trouble is, they just won't cooperate by staying small. They grow bigger every year, and that presents a problem.

It has been a big concern at the Home that the kids are getting too big to ride safely & comfortably in a private car as they require an adapted car seat. Brandon has a car seat, and it just does fit in my back seat. Of course, in order for him to sit in it, I would have to cut a hole in the roof. I love the kid, but not that much. And he is but one of many big kids. So essentially, it is becoming almost impossible for individual staff members to get them out of the Home for some fun after work hours.

One day, I saw a big handicapped van that our public transit system uses, and I thought AHA! We called them, blah blah blah, and Brandon was our 2nd test case on Sunday afternoon. For only $3, he and a caregiver can get picked up at our front door and taken anywhere within a mile of a regular bus stop. Then they will pick us up and take us back for another $3.



That's a bargain any way you look at it, and I am happy to report that it all went off without a hitch. The drivers were on time, friendly, and very helpful. BS met us at the movie theater for the show, and a good time was had by all. Or at least this picture (taken in the theater) leads me to believe that at least one of us had a good time. What do you think?



At the end of the movie, during the closing credits, they were playing "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey, so BS & I sang along at the top of our lungs (most everyone had left). Brandon, God love 'im, wasn't embarrassed at all. He thought we were quite entertaining. He obviously has very low standards.

Next outing......hmmmmmmm......something educational maybe? Squeeze some learnin' into the boy.

3 comments:

St. Mary's Home for Disabled Children said...

As usual, wonderful pictures and a lovely story! -- Sonja, who has been alerted

Russ said...

A Journey song? Lucky I wasn't there with my Glock.

Kathy said...

Hey Russell, that song has a speshul place in my heart. Don't you be raggin' on it.