Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bucket List #3 - Serendipity

This wasn't really on my list, but the coincidence of time & place was too much to resist.

I had noticed this little guy setting up shop next to my front door a couple days ago, but pretty much ignored him. He is quite a handsome fellow, though.



I have a deep-seated aversion to spiders since childhood. Best I can figure, it's because of the movie, The Incredible Shrinking Man. There was a scene in it where the main character, after shrinking to a couple inches tall, fights off a spider with a pin.



Scared the snot out of me when I was a kid, and I haven't liked spiders ever since. For years I used to have spider dreams where I would dream I was waking up to spiders hanging down from the ceiling into my face. GAAAAH! I have matured to the point now where I can pretty much ignore them, as long as they ignore me, and this one is a particularly big specimen.

But this afternoon we had a line of strong thunderstorms blow through, with torrential downpours. It was definitely a "rain event" (5 points for the reference. BS, you already know it). I got home from work as the storms were ending, and I noticed that the storm had ripped the web apart. Then I took out some trash and I noticed Mr Spider had begun to repair his home (or his kitchen, however you look at it). How often does it happen that you are in the right place at the right time to watch such a handsome fellow build a web. Truly one of the most fascinating things I have ever seen. I stood there in the leftover drizzle watching this guy until the sun set & I couldn't see any more.









Tomorrow morning, I expect it to be back to its full glory - huge, and a little too close to the door that I have to go through for comfort. But hey, he's just as scared of me as I am of him, right? What a load of crap.

No comments: